Transition update: eggs successfully collected and frozen!

Just so you know: in this post I will go through my experience with having my eggs collected at the hospital. Some parts might be triggering/TMI for some people. 

Yesterday came finally the last step in my eggs freezing adventure. I arrived at the clinic around 8 a.m. and was welcomed by a nurse who took me to a hospital room where I was given painkillers, calming medication and an hospital gown to change into. She put in an IV in my arm and let me rest for about an hour.

By the time I had arrived at the hospital I had been experiencing lower abdominal pain for a couple of hours, which in this situation can be a good thing as it is a sign that the eggs are ready to be collected. Still, it was pretty uncomfortable and even walking was painful.

When the painkillers and calming meds had kicked in I was taken to the operating room  where I got to sit in one of those gynecological examination chairs, which felt even more awkward than usual before there were six different people in the room and assisting the procedure.

After being given some morphine (which gave me all sorts of calmness and happy feelings) the doctor started. This part is dome by putting a needle through the vaginal wall and into the ovaries to suck out the eggs.

When she did one side, I felt a little bit of pain and discomfort but it was okay and over pretty quickly. But the other side, I don’t really know why, was more painful. Sometimes even really painful. But the nurses were a great help and gave me some more morphine + let me breathe in some laughing gas which eased the pain and help me relax.

Soon, the other side was done. In all the procedure took 10 minutes if even that.
I was taken back to the room where I was finally allowed to have some breakfast, since I had to be fasting since midnight. I rested for maybe an hour and hanged out with a friend who had come along for moral support. Then I was allowed to go home and it was done for the day.

I experienced some abdominal pain and bleeding, which is common afterwards, under most of the rest of the day. But it passed and now I feel fine.

In total 14 eggs were collected, which according to the doctor is a pretty good nummer.

I’m glad this is over with and happy to know that my genetic material is safely stored if ever I want to have biological children in the future.

I am now looking forward to the next step in my transition: starting testosterone.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s